Behind the Numbers is our ongoing look into successful businesses. We interview studio owners, and the people behind the success to find out how they use data to make better decisions.
Here is our ninth edition with studio owner Devon Williams of Pole Pressure.
1. Tell me about yourself and your business and how you got exposed to the wellness industry and become a business owner?
I’ve always been active my entire life. I think I’ve done every form of group fitness class out there! I found pole dancing via Groupon and literally fell in love from the first spin! I decided to open my own pole dancing studio when I moved away from my home studio in 2014. I didn’t want to stop teaching or lose my community, so I decided to just build a new one 🙂
2. How is Pole fitness different from other workout verticals?
It is very mental. There are a lot of movements that require you to push and pull your hands and legs at the same time in different directions. Also for many clients pole is the “thing” that was missing from their life. It allows them to get strong mentally and physically!
3. What’s your favorite part of owning a studio?
Being able to provide a safe, fun, and supportive environment for clients to push past their fears and inhibitions.
4. What is your biggest challenge as a studio owner?
Finding time to train/practice.
5. Are you responsible for your own marketing and social media efforts? What is the most successful marketing channel that you use?
It’s more of a collective effort. I have a few instructors that help me with Instagram and email. Our most successful marketing channel is Instagram.
6. What specific data and strategies do you use to gain new members? What about for retaining existing members?
Personal engagement. Pole is very personal for our clients so I make sure my members feel like they are my only client when working with them. Whether it is answering a question about signing up or working through issues that arise I want them to feel like they are my #1 priority.
7. What is your favorite go-to iKizmet chart that you like to keep tabs on?
8. How has iKizmet helped your business?
It groups the data in one place and makes it easy to understand.
Thanks Devon for your awesome insights! It’s so fun to learn how other studios are using data to help their business!
To learn more about Pole Pressure, check out their Website.